13 September 2010

Even Martha Stewart has off days...

So, if you haven't noticed from all the crafts, cooking, and decorating I've been doing, I consider myself a mini Martha Stewart.  Now i know in real life, my abilities to think up incredible craft or recipes don't match hers, but I love looking at her website for inspiration....I've always wondered if she ever burns something while cooking or messes up when decorating.  I'm sure she has to, right?


Let's just say that Penny ate some of our dinner tonight because even SETH JONES wouldn't eat it. Now, if you know Seth..he will eat almost anything...

At least Penny ate it...so here is the story:

When I was grocery shopping the other day, i decided to buy a sweet potato.  Seth loves them but me..not so much.  I wanted to cook it for him because i knew he liked them so i bought one and tried cooking it tonight.  I don't eat them or have never cooked one before so I thought you just cook them like regular potatoes.  Bring water to a boil, cube it, and let it cook until it gets soft.  So, I did just that and then proceeded to mix it with brown sugar, butter..a dash of cinnamon.  But it looked like this:
According to Paula Deen, they should look like this:
Just a tiny difference in the two, right???

Needless to say, Seth did NOT eat them, and we fed them to the doggie.

ANYWAY,

Poor Seth has to get up at 4am to be at work at 5am.  I feel sorry for him because while he is working, I am sleeping our comfy bed and get to sleep as late as I want to! I'm so thankful that he is providing for our little family.  Even if it isn't the best job, he is doing it with his whole heart and working his hardest.  
This verse comes to my mind when I think of how hard Seth works without complaining and with a joyful heart.

"Whatever you do, work at it with all your heart, 
as working for the Lord, not for men." -Colossians 3:23

Seth and I got to talking today and I was telling him how I thought he should post once or twice on our blog.  He said that he doesn't really have an interest in blogging, and since I loved doing it so much that I should keep it for myself. Sometimes I feel that my posts are too "female specific" but I guess it's okay.  If you are male though, thanks for reading!  :)  Maybe I'll post once about hunting or fishing...haha that would be interesting to read for sure.

With that being said, I'll show you some more of my recent redo's since I can be as girly as I want!  Here is a tray I got from GW (Goodwill) for .99 cents:
(Sorry for the poor lighting)

Here it is after a coat of paint:
And with some fall decor (because we all know I am kind of obsessed with that):
I looks kind of funky since you can't see the whole room, but it gives the room a nice clean feel with the straight lines and cream paint.

The other day I baked 8 loaves of banana bread...I froze them and whenever I want a loaf, I'll just take it out and thaw it.  I've already eaten so much and have told myself I am not allowed to take another loaf out until next week.  :P

Here is the YUMMMMY recipe I used.  It's from Cooking Light.

Classic Banana Bread

Classic Banana Bread
Photography: Randy Mayor; Styling: Jan Gautro

Ingredients

  • 2  cups  all-purpose flour
  • 3/4  teaspoon  baking soda
  • 1/2  teaspoon  salt
  • 1  cup  sugar
  • 1/4  cup  butter, softened
  • 2  large eggs
  • 1 1/2  cups  mashed ripe banana (about 3 bananas)
  • 1/3  cup  plain low-fat yogurt
  • 1  teaspoon  vanilla extract
  • Cooking spray

Preparation

Preheat oven to 350°.
Lightly spoon flour into dry measuring cups; level with a knife. Combine the flour, baking soda, and salt, stirring with a whisk.
Place sugar and butter in a large bowl, and beat with a mixer at medium speed until well blended (about 1 minute). Add the eggs, 1 at a time, beating well after each addition. Add banana, yogurt, and vanilla; beat until blended. Add flour mixture; beat at low speed just until moist. Spoon batter into an 8 1/2 x 4 1/2-inch loaf pan coated with cooking spray. Bake at 350° for 1 hour or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool 10 minutes in pan on a wire rack; remove from pan. Cool completely on wire rack.

Nutritional Information

Calories:
187 (21% from fat)
Fat:
4.3g (sat 2.4g,mono 1.2g,poly 0.3g)
Protein:
3.3g
Carbohydrate:
34.4g
Fiber:
1.1g
Cholesterol:
40mg
Iron:
1mg
Sodium:
198mg
Calcium:
20mg

I looked at other recipes, and they had twice as much fat and about 150 more calories per slice.  This one was so moist and yummy, I will definately be using this one for years.

Speaking of fat...

Huey Cat is fat.  When he got him, he weighed around 8 pounds.  Take a look at this:
12.1 pounds...that is an increase of 4 pounds.  That's a lot for a feline...He is halfway to DOUBLING his body weight.  Sheesh, think about if a human did that.  Say a 120 pound female gained at the same rate Huey has.  In 4 months, she will weigh 60 more pounds.  180 pounds. Haha..crazy!  At least he is happy! 

So everyone...go make that banana bread and tell me how to make sweet potatoes!

Goodnight moon.

1 comment:

  1. Girl I love your blog! I am a new reader!! I also live in Charlotte! Anyways, to make a good sweet potatoe, you just wrap it in tin foil and put it in the oven on a high temp, i mean, bake it like you would a baked potatoe, when done, cut in half long ways, put cinnamon sugar and marshmellows on it, you can prob put it back in or under the broiler to melt the marshmellows, and then also put butter on it too..its amazing. and your bread looks good too!

    ReplyDelete